Minister of Multimedia and Communications, YB Dato Saifuddin Abdullah launched Sunway Education Group‘s 42KL during a virtual launch, marking the revolutionary coding school launches held in Malaysia.
Briefing further, 42KL is the Malaysian campus consisting of 42 to be located within the FutureX building in Sunway City, Kuala Lumpur, and operate together with 42’s innovative model in collaboration among Sunway Education Group, Sunway iLabs, and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC). Anchor partners that have agreed to join in collaboration including Sunway Group, CIMB, Roland Berger, DHL, Huawei, and Carsome. The first 42 campus was established in Paris, France and second in the Silicon Valley, US. The 42 campus in Sunway City Kuala Lumpur is one of its kind in Southeast Asia. The 42 is a groundbreaking coding school with a disruptive educational model as it consists of zero-tuition fees, zero teachers, and zero outmoded classrooms. The beauty of 42 is, it is the world’s first peer-to-peer learning mechanism and is completely merit-based assessments. According to the source further, the only requirement to join the classes is the students should be above 18 years old.
Focusing on project-based learning, similar to how a project assigned in real-world work, the school further encourages the students to maximize their time management and build conceptual frameworks that can be applied to meet the industry’s requirements in order to produce a successful project. Students are held responsible for their own success and the whole programme is gamified. This means the progress of the student in the project is accounted based on the experience points through the completion of each project.
Dato’ Saifuddin in speech congratulate Sunway Group for their achievements towards the nation’s development.
“This is indeed a brilliant idea of coming up with a new methodology, a new system and a new approach to education. We are now facing a very fast-changing geopolitical advancement in the world, but nothing can challenge the advancement of technology“, “Changes in technology are inevitable, we have to embrace them in a certain way to produce many benefits for all of us“.Dato Saifuddin Abdullah.
The Ambassador of France to Malaysia, Mr. Frederic Laplanche and Ecole 42 managing director of Sophie Viger, also delivered a special speech at the virtual launch. Thereafter, Sunway Group’s Chief Innovation Officer and Sunway iLabs director, Matt Van Leeuwen introduces 42KL.
“42KL is a welcome addition to our vibrant digital talent development eco-system as it will surely unearth more high potential Malaysians tech talents and groom them to become the world-class developers and tech entrepreneurs.”Ms. Surina Shukri, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of MDEC.
Sunway Education Group had shared with us on how their 42KL Application and Admission Process works. The process are as follows:
- 42KL is now open for applications for enrollment and its first intake is tentatively slated for November 1, 2020.
- There are no minimum entry requirements except for students to be aged 18 and above.
- All applications will sit for an online test before 450 of them are selected to enter what 42KL called, “The Pool”.
- For “The Pool”, the 450 students will undergo an on-site assessment for four weeks.
- From here, the final 150 students will be chosen to embark on Levels 1 to 7 for the core curriculum stage, lasting approximately 12 months.
- After Level 7, the students will undergo an industry placement for 3 to 6 months with one of 42KL’s partner companies where the former can apply the skills they have developed during the core curriculum.
- Thereafter, these students can choose to seek employment or return to the 42KL campus to continue their studies from Levels 8 to 21 – the specialization stage lasting approximately another 24 months.
- After Level 21, they will enter the workforce upon their graduation from 42KL.
- These 42KL graduates will be equipped with technology and soft skills, suitable for any industry.
To know more in detail about 42KL, you can head to their official site.